Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Picking a newer RV

There is a rear kitchen in our 5th wheel
Here I am doing a bad impression of Betty Ferness showing off the refridgerator, hopefully it will work well.
Curb side view of the 5th wheel
The street side view with slide out of the 5th wheel
Bedroom, closet and cabinets
The slide with dinette and sofa
So after our trip to Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi,Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and back to Kentucky in a 27' Class C RV we decided if we were to continue to travel like this we needed more room to move around in than what the 87 RV had to offer.

We discussed the various options Class A vs. 5th wheel vs. Travel Trailer. Eventually we settled on the 5th wheel as our choice. Then it was which one? Samantha liked the one with three slide outs and I was not to sure about that having no experience with them. Samantha had more experience as she drove 5th wheels when she worked for Barnum & Bailey's Circus and felt that they were dependable. I opted for one big slide in the one we chose and luckily the head room in the bedroom was more than in the one with three slides. Also the condition of the unit seemed to me to be better also. If we like it someday we may up grade to a unit with more slides more features.

So we bought the 5th wheel and now we need a truck to pull the unit, a 3/4 ton with a big engine and strong to pull this huge thing about he country. We tried several trucks and like Goldilocks we had one to old, one beautiful and expensive, one old but with new engine, tires and most of the towing apparatus. I opted for older with the new engine, towing apparatus and tires.

When testing the equipment on the unit it was found that the water heater was leaking and had to be removed and taken to be welded. I wonder what else will need to be repaired or replaced?

It has been a few days since the water heater has been removed and sent to the welding shop and it still isn't back from the shop yet. I called the RV dealer again and maybe tomorrow the water heater will be finished and installed. Then again maybe it will take a little longer to get my RV home, I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We bought a 5th wheel last fall and we love it. A big truck is a must. Todd bought a Dodge Ram 3500 diesel when we got the 5th wheel. And the slide outs really do make the living space so much bigger. I can't wait until I can get back to camping. We're enjoying reading about your new adventure....

Kathi

Pepper said...

I had to comment when I saw your pictures. The "duck" is a Muscovy. Back when I had a house on a foundation I lived next to a lake. One morning I heard what I thought was someone knocking on my door. When I opened the door there was a huge but ugly duck on my porch and it started hissing at me. Totally freaked me out. Thanks for the memories... Oh the duck came back every morning because stupid me threw him some bread.